Other than slow internet which can be very frustrating, there is nothing on this earth that irks me more than poor sound quality. I have bought all kinds of speakers, and I must admit it was hectic getting the right one because the marketing involved with these products is enough to make you purchase one without even looking at the specifications; only to go home and realize that you bought a computer speaker with unbelievably poor sound quality.
I was almost on the brink of giving up on buying speakers for my computer because every one of them was above my budget, but my friend introduced me to a few low budget yet high-quality options.
Of course, I eventually found the ideal one for myself but seeing how this issue troubles many people, I had a brilliant idea. I’m a reviewer and, since I love to help people, I decided to concentrate my next review project on computer speakers for users on a budget.
Why You Should Trust Me.
I can be a cynic sometimes, and so I know what it is like to want to trust someone before taking their word for it. I’ve also come across reviewers all over the internet who just put up things that they have little or no idea or experience about, and publish it off as a review.
So, why should you really trust me?
I checked out over 45 speakers that come highly recommended. It took me a long time checking, testing each one with a wide variety of songs (from Ed Sheeran’s Castle on the Hills to old school Natalie King Cole’s Unforgettable), on computer games, as well as with videos. A lot of work, I tell you. Pheeew!
I also asked several everyday users who had bought these speakers, and other computer geeks I know, as well as experts in sound quality who looked at each speaker’s sensitivity, signal to noise ratio, power handling, frequency, impedance and other tech stuff. Bass boost, size, aesthetics were also among other featured that were evaluated.
I personally love great sound and when a speaker is able to produce that clear and distinct high-quality sound in which you are able to pick out the gentle tapping of a triangle or the clanging of a cymbal from the drums while blending the entire sound in a pleasant manner, I fall head over heels.
Having gathered these facts, here are seven of the best budget computer speakers currently on the market; you can rest assured that any one of these you decide to get will meet all of your sound needs without breaking your bank.
Best Cheap Computer Speakers
Table of Contents
- Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers for PC
- Cyber Acoustics 2.1 Computer Speaker with Subwoofer
- Creative Inspire T12 2.0 Multimedia Speaker System with Bass Flex Technology
- Mackie CR Series CR3 – 3″ Creative Reference Multimedia Speakers
- Anker Classic Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with Enhanced Bass
- Logitech Speaker System Z323 with Subwoofer
- DKnight MagicBox II Bluetooth 4.0 Portable Wireless Speaker, 10W Output Power with Enhanced Bass
1. Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers for PC
Have you ever used those speakers that play music or movies flawlessly to the extent that you think you have additional speakers in the house? These two babies had me excited for days after trying them out, and they did not disappoint at all.
Bose Companion 2 speakers are equipped with TrueSpace stereo digital processing circuitry that makes the sound lifelike and spacious as well.
You do not have to use them for music and movies alone, they are also perfect for computer games and relay the sound effects with crystal clarity. The speakers also have an auxiliary input that you can use to play music from your iPad or iPhone and the quality is equally as good as when you plug them into a computer.
- High-quality audio performance, with clear sound at any volume. Use the auxiliary input to bring Bose performance to another audio source such as your iPhone or iPad. Upgrade your sound-and your experience-with Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers.
- High-quality audio performance, with clear sound at any volume
2. Cyber Acoustics 2.1 Computer Speaker with Subwoofer
Cyber Acoustics have a flat panel design that is not only appealing to the eyes but essential when it comes to quality sound. The 3-piece stereo speaker system is accompanied by a 5.25’’ Power Pro series side-firing subwoofer to bring out the bass in the music or movie. The control system is also very easy to operate comprising of an aux input jack, on and off switch, master volume, and bass volume.
I like these speakers because they also have a headphone output jack that can help me listen to music as I work on my computer without disturbing other people in the room. These are pretty amazing features considering you can get the Cyber Acoustics 2.1 at less than $40.
- Flat panel designed 3 piece stereo speaker system with subwoofer
- 62 watts peak power; 30 watts RMS
3. Creative Inspire T12 2.0 Multimedia Computer Speaker System with Bass Flex Technology
Creative have always been the go-to company for computer speakers, and that is a fact that many people can agree on.
I remember my first Creative speaker. They were not as sleek as the Inspire T12, but they packed a lot of bass for such tiny speakers. The Creative Inspire T12 also has built-in bass flex technology to extend that much needed low frequency to any sound playing from your computer.
Fine-tuned to perfection, these speakers have built-in quality components that give you impressive audio quality. Despite being only two and small in size, the Creative Inspire T12 are the perfect choice if you are looking for 2.0 computer speakers.
- Built in Bass Flex technology
- High Performance Drivers
4. Mackie CR Series CR3 – 3″ Creative Reference Multimedia PC Speakers
If you are involved in music/movie production or designing and require computer speakers that will help you edit the sound correctly, then the Mackie CR3 are your best bet. I have visited many studios, and most producers have these 3-inch speakers set up on their shelves. Their design is fantastic, and a simple control panel makes operating them a piece of cake.
The Mackie CR3 also have Bluetooth connectivity that can also be paired to your smartphone or tablet, not just your computer. I can assure you that no other monitor will deliver the quality sound the Mackie CR3 produces at such a low price.
- Studio-quality design, sound and performance ideal for multimedia creation and entertainment
- Professional-grade components for optimized sonic performance
5. Anker Classic Portable Wireless Bluetooth Computer Speaker with Enhanced Bass
This speaker is the perfect choice for you if you experience power outages often thanks to its built-in rechargeable 2100mAh Li-ion battery. At less than $30, you won’t get many computer speakers with a four-watt two-inch driver and a bass port powerful enough to produce high-quality sound and still maintain an unmatched pitch range.
The Anker Classic is also the record connection range holder at 33 feet with the standard range being 30 feet or less.
If you are looking for clarity, portability, and a sleek looking computer speaker that can serve you for up to 20 hours without recharging, then the Anker Classic is your best bet.
- Experience your tunes in high definition and surprising fullness realized through a 4W / 2in driver and bass port - outclassing other similar-sized portable speakers.
- Unrivalled 15 to 20-hour playtime powered by a built-in rechargeable 2100mAh Li-ion battery.
6. Logitech PC Speaker System Z323 with Subwoofer
At first, I thought these speakers were a knockoff seeing the close resemblance they bear to Creative speakers, but their originality was highlighted by their perfect sound quality.
Logitech Z323 computer speakers have a 360-degree sound that not only fills the room but is also crystal clear. Not to mention, you can easily connect your gaming console or iPod quickly thanks to their RCA and 3.5 mm inputs.
The feature that I like most about the Z323 is their adjustable bass. Different records or movies come with different sound, and if you cannot adjust the bass, then the audio is usually just muffled sound that can be very irritating.
- Immersive Logitech 360-degree sound for crystal-clear, room-filling audio.
- Ported, down-firing subwoofer delivers deep, rich bass
7. DKnight MagicBox II Bluetooth 4.0 Portable Wireless PC Speaker, 10W Output Power with Enhanced Bass
Technology has made it possible to play music from your computer with no wire linking it to your speakers. The DKnight MagicBox is the only budget speaker with the latest 4.0 Bluetooth technology and powerful drivers for top notch sound. The speaker also has a built-in 2000mAh battery that can serve you for up to 12 hours without recharging.
When the charge is depleted, you can charge it using the micro-USB charging cable. Also, its ultra-compact size and soft touch rubber design enhance its compatibility. You can carry and set it up anywhere in the house, use it for an indoor party or even bring it to a picnic with family and friends.
- Implemented with 10W total acoustic drivers and ultra-small size produce a wide audio spectrum. The newly designed passive radiator could provide strong bass without distortion even at highest volume.
- Equipped with the advanced Bluetooth 4.0 technology, compatible with all Bluetooth-enabled devices (Bluetooth V2.1 and over).
See Also: Best Wireless Adapter for Gaming
The Bottom Line
I love high-quality sound just as I’m sure most people do, but most computer speakers are ridiculously expensive for no apparent reason. The seven speakers above, more than cater for your sound quality needs without straining your budget. At the end of the day, it’s not about how much they cost, but rather, the quality of sound they produce and how well they perform.
- Jason Fitzpatrick, What Is the Optical Audio Port, and When Should I Use It?, How-To Geek, February 10, 2016
- Brent Butterworth, What’s the Ideal Speaker Driver Configuration?, HomeTheaterReview.com, July 11, 2016
- Steve Guttenberg, When will we have perfect speakers?, CNET, May 30, 2012
- What’s the Difference Between Balanced and Unbalanced?, Aviom Blog