When it comes to routers, TP-LINK is always among the first names that will be mentioned, thanks to the reliability that has come to be associated with the networking devices and accessories from the company such as the TP-LINK router.
Apart from its efficiency and reliability, the TP-LINK router has also become very popular because of how easy it is for one to set up, log in, and generally use it. It comes with a web interface which you can use for all your settings. To do this, the first thing that you want to do is to log into the router.
When you are able to access the TP-LINK router web interface, you will be able to do different things including changing the default network name, WiFi details such as name and password, DHCP client addresses, and firewall settings, among other things.
TP-Link Router Login
To log into your TP-Link router here are the simple steps to follow:
1. Before anything else, you need to be connected via your TP-LINK Router as unless you are connected through it, you cannot gain access to the interface. You can either be connected over the Wi-Fi or by ethernet cable.
2. The next thing you will need to do is to launch any browser you are using and type in the IP address of the router in the address bar. For most TP-LINK routers, the IP address is 192.168.1.1. If that doesn’t work, you may as well check the list provided below for the model you are using.
3. After entering the IP address, hit on the Enter key and the interface should open up requestion for your Username and Password. If you are not sure of the credentials or if this is your first time of using it, the default username for almost all TP-LINK routers is “admin” while the default password is also “admin.”
TP-Link Router IP Address
For you to be able to log into your router, you will need to, first of all, access the IP address since it is your passage to it. Each router comes with its own IP Address which although can be shared with others, may also be different.
That said, the default IP address will only work for you if you have not changed it already. If you have and you cannot remember the one you are now using, below are ways that you can get back the address. Following the process, you can also find out the IP address of the router even when you have not changed it before.
For The Windows Operating System
- Open the Run Command by pressing Windows + R.
- Next, type cmd in the field provided and then hit on ‘Enter’ and that will open your Command Prompt.
- Type the following in the Command Prompt: ipconfig | findstr /i “Gateway” and press the Enter key.
- Your IP address will show as Default gateway which may be something like this: 192.168.8.1
Looking for the IP Address on macOS
- The first thing to do is to open the terminal by either pressing cmd + space or then type in terminal or by going to Finder, then Applications, followed by Utilities, and then Terminal.
- Next, type netstat -nr | grep default and then hit on the enter key.
- Your IP should now show.
For Linux System
- The first thing to do is to open your terminal window by pressing Ctrl + Alt + t.
- After that, type IP route | grep default in the window and then hit the enter key.
- Your IP address should now display.
Note: If you check under your router or somewhere on it, you should find its default login details that include the username, password, and the IP address.
See Also: Login To A Comcast Xfinity Router Modem By Following These Steps
Although as already pointed out, each model has its own IP address. The addresses are shared so that from the list below, you should find one that will work with your router:
TP-LINK Router Set-Up and Settings
To Set up your TP-LINK router, here are the quick steps to follow:
- Attach the router to a modem or data jack. Before you do that, ensure that the modem is powered off. Your modem will be connected into the blue Ethernet port on the router.
- Go ahead and power on your modem and then power the router next.
- Wait for it to come up before scrolling down your available networks and selecting your new network. You will find the password on the sticker attached to the router. You can also decide to connect via Ethernet.
- Launch your web browser and go to tplinkwifi.net.
- Put in an administrative password, confirm it, and click on Let’s Get Started.
- Make the settings that follow by selecting your time zone, internet connection type (auto detect), customize your Wi-Fi network by giving it a name and a password.
- When you are done with it all, you can save the settings after you must have clicked the Next button to the end.
- Now you can connect to the Wi-Fi network you have created and then save it. You will then receive a message that your setup is completed.
TP-LINK Router Configuration and Rest
There are instances when after the above configuration and set up of your TP-Link router, you may forget your password or something may need you to reconfigure it. What this means is that you need to carry out a reset on the router. Here are the steps to follow:
- Without turning off your TP-LINK router, press the reset button and hold for 30 seconds.
- Still holding the button, unplug it from the power source. Still, hold the reset button for another 30 seconds.
- Now, plug it back to the source and turn it on while still holding the reset button. After it comes back on, you will need to hold the reset button for another 30 seconds.
You can also have a reset done through the web interface by opening your web browser and then typing in your IP address. Navigate to Factory Defaults which you will find under System tools. Click on the Restore button and the router will perform a reset.
When you are done with this, the next stage is to configure your router again by setting your username and password. You can access it with the admin credentials but the problem with that is the security will be poor that is why you will need to set new credentials.